The Policy and Planning Unit (PPU) is one of the four technical Units within the Fisheries Department and is tasked with overseeing three main programs areas. These include: policy and planning; resources mobilization; environmental stewardship and public education and awareness. The Unit plays a key role in advising and liaising with the Fisheries Administrator on important fisheries policy issues as well as Departmental coordination in areas related to annual planning, program budgeting, performance monitoring, evaluation and reporting. Another major function of the PPU is to represent the Fisheries Administrator and the Fisheries Department in various committees, task forces and working groups at both national and international level.
1) Policy and Planning;
2) Resource Mobilization;
3) Environmental Stewardship;
- The Policy & Planning Unit is charged with the responsibility of developing policies and aid in planning of various projects for the Fisheries Department. Through its functions, the Unit assists in drafting legislation under the jurisdiction of the Fisheries Act, Chapter 210 of the Laws of Belize, Revised Edition 2000.
- The Unit is tasked with the responsibility of mobilizing resources outside of the GOB budget allocations to support critical functions of the Department given the budget limitations. This has in principle allowed the Fisheries Department in meeting in mandate and accomplishing its goals and key targets as per results-based program budgeting mandated by the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Forestry, Fisheries the Environment and Sustainable Development (MFFESD).
- Another responsibility is the environmental component in which the Department executes its functions as a member of the National Environmental Appraisal Committee. These include the regular revision of EIA’s and site visits, especially as it relates to those developments with associated impacts within the marine or freshwater aquatic ecosystem and the resource users.
- Other functions include coordination in areas related to annual planning, program budgeting, monitoring, evaluation and reporting.